“Increased hormones can be the cause of dark armpits during pregnancy. Although not dangerous, this can lower self-esteem.”
Halodoc, Jakarta – Dark underarms during pregnancy are just one of the many changes that occur in a woman’s body during pregnancy. Darkening of the skin actually does not only occur in the armpits. It can also occur on other parts of the body, including the face, stomach, and other skin folds.
So, is it true that the cause of this condition is hormonal changes? Let’s see the discussion!
Causes of Dark Underarms during Pregnancy
Dark underarms during pregnancy are quite common for most women during pregnancy. Darkening of the armpits during pregnancy is a condition in which the skin in the armpit area suddenly becomes darker than before pregnancy. This phenomenon may improve after delivery.
Black underarms during pregnancy do not pose a danger to the health of the mother and baby. This condition only causes discomfort to the mother in her daily activities so that it makes the mother feel inferior because there are areas of darkened skin.
During pregnancy, hormones such as estrogen or progesterone in a woman’s body experience a significant increase. This stimulates the formation of the pigment melanin, causing the surface of the skin to become thin and change color. No wonder the armpits turn black during pregnancy.
Apart from that, not only in the armpits, other folds of the mother’s body are also prone to darkening, such as the neck and groin. Especially in the neck area which is often exposed to sunlight, this area easily becomes darker and is clearly visible.
In some mothers, the placenta will secrete hormones which also increase skin pigmentation, thus making the skin all over the body darker.
How to Reduce Pigmentation during Pregnancy
Black underarms during pregnancy will not last forever. Because various skin changes usually disappear after delivery. However, you can take several steps to minimize skin darkening during pregnancy, namely:
- Protect yourself from strong sunlight. Sun exposure is one of the most significant factors that trigger pigmentation. Use a broad spectrum sunscreen that has an SPF of 30 or higher as part of your daily skin routine. When going out, cover yourself with long sleeves and a wide-brimmed hat.
- Consume enough folic acid. Skin changes can also occur due to folate deficiency. Therefore, make sure to get enough good intake from diet or supplements.
- Don’t wax. Though waxing possibly safe during pregnancy, it can cause skin inflammation which can worsen black armpits during pregnancy.
- Use hypoallergenic skin care products. Choose a cleanser, moisturizer, or face cream that won’t burn or irritate your skin and make skin tanning worse.
Apart from that, there are several natural ingredients that you can also use as home remedies to reduce pigmentation, namely:
- A mixture of turmeric, yogurt and milk. Apply this mixture on the armpits, let it dry completely and wait another 20 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
- Lemon and cucumber juice. Mix lemon juice and cucumber juice in a 1:1 ratio, then apply it on the underarm skin, wait about 25 minutes then wash it off with cold water.
- Tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes into thin slices and apply to the armpits for about 10 minutes, rinse with warm water.
- Potato. Apply potato juice on the underarm skin about 30 minutes before taking a shower, the pores in the underarm area will tighten and become whiter.
You may not be able to totally prevent black armpits during pregnancy. However, you can consult a dermatologist if it is severe. Using moisturizer during pregnancy in the armpit area can also reduce this problem.
If you feel disturbed and want to get treatment from an expert, downloads Halodoc just to make a medical appointment with a dermatologist.
Baby Centre. Retrieved 2022. Skin Changes During Pregnancy.
Mom Junction. Accessed 2022. 9 Home Remedies To Deal With Skin Darkening During Pregnancy.
Vinmec. Retrieved 2022. Why Are Armpits Dark During Pregnancy?