“Some types of viral infections can cause serious complications. Including genital herpes and HIV infection.”
hellodoc, Jakarta – There are many types of viral infections that can attack the body. Just like any other pathogenic infection, it is important to be aware of viral infections. Because, some infections can cause serious, even life-threatening complications.
Read on to find out what viral infections can cause complications!
Various types of viral infections and their complications
Viral infections are contagious and spread from person to person when the virus enters the body and begins to multiply. Meanwhile, the mode of transmission can be through contaminated food or drink, inhaling droplet droplets from an infected person, having sexual contact with an infected person, and so on.
The following are some types of viral infections that can cause complications:
1. HPV infection
HPV infection is a viral infection that causes growths on the skin or mucous membranes (warts). Some of the complications that can arise are:
- Upper respiratory and mouth lesions. Some HPV infections cause lesions on the tongue, tonsils, soft palate, or inside the larynx and nose.
- Cancer. Certain strains of HPV can cause cervical cancer.
2. Genital Herpes
Genital herpes is a type of viral infection caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Complications associated with genital herpes may include:
- Other sexually transmitted infections. Having sores in the genital area increases the risk of transmitting or contracting other sexually transmitted infections, including AIDS.
- Bladder problems. Sores associated with genital herpes can cause bladder problems.
- Meningitis. HSV infection can also cause inflammation of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord.
- Inflammation of the rectum (proctitis). Especially in men who have same-sex sex.
3. Ear Infection
Viral infections of the ear can also cause complications, such as:
- Hearing disorders. This can happen if the infection is frequent or never completely heals.
- Mastoiditis. This is an infection of the ear spine, which has the potential to turn into something serious.
- Meningitis. This is an infection of the membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.
- Brain abscess. This can occur when pus collects in the brain as a result of an infection.
- Eardrum ruptured. This can occur as a result of pressure building up in the middle ear.
- Facial paralysis. Causes one side of the face to be immobile.
4. Cold (Common Cold)
The common cold, or the common cold, usually goes away without treatment. However, this type of viral infection can sometimes lead to serious complications, such as:
- Acute ear infection (otitis media)
- Throat border
HIV is a type of viral infection that attacks the immune system. Furthermore, it also reduces its ability to fight infection and disease. Therefore, without treatment, HIV can progress to AIDS.
People with AIDS are more susceptible to certain types of infections, known as opportunistic infections, as well as some types of cancer. Common opportunistic infections for people living with HIV include:
- Herpes simplex virus infection.
- Cervical cancer.
Hepatitis can progress to or be complicated by other diseases, such as:
- Heart cancer.
- Heart failure.
- Hepatic encephalopathy.
That’s a discussion about the types of viral infections that can cause complications. If you have further questions regarding viral infections, download Hellodoc just to ask the doctor via chat.
Health Grades. Accessed 2022. Viral Diseases: Symptoms, Types, Methods of Transmission.
Mayo Clinic. Accessed 2022. HPV Infection.
Mayo Clinic. Accessed 2022. Genital Herpes.
Everyday Health. Accessed 2022. What Are the Possible Complications of Ear Infections?
Healthline. Retrieved 2022. Complications of the Common Cold.
Medical News Today. Accessed 2022. What Are The Complications of HIV?
Very Well Health. Accessed 2022. Common Complications of Hepatitis.